Heritage Skills Development Centre (HSDC) is a grassroots non-profit organization that was established in 1993. It was founded by a group of women who observed a gap in the integration services available to new- immigrants, refugees and minorities in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). Our services have expanded over the past 12 years to serving at-risk, low-income children and youth, seniors and marginalized groups.
Programs AND SERVICES
- Capacity Building & Training Programs: Youth Entrepreneurship Program, Business Integration Training Program, Information Technology Training Program, Web Development Training, Leadership Skills Development, Sewing and Fashion Design Training, Computer and Internet Training Program, French as a Second Language Program, Addiction and Mental Health Support , After School Program for Children and Youth, Newcomer Parent Support, Enhanced Youth Outreach Worker Program, Employment Preparation.
- Social Programs: Our Social Programs include: Community Workshops, Crime Prevention Program, Youth Peer mentorship, Life Skills Development,, Senior Support Program, Victims Week Celebration, Scarborough Afro Caribbean Festival.
- Referral & Information Services: HSDC provides support and referrals to the justice system, legal professionals, health care services, educational institutions, housing, translation and interpretation services, employment, social services and government services.
- Supportive Counseling and Mentorship: Supportive counseling services are provided for at-risk and isolated individuals to help overcome isolation, stress and depression. These services help individuals to build resiliency, self-esteem, confidence and pursue their goals.
- Arts & Culture –Celebration events and festivals such as the: Scarborough Afro Caribbean Festival, Canada Day Celebration, Annual Community BBQ, etc. These activities help to bridge cultural gaps, celebrate diversity, create unity and community bonding, while promoting local businesses and showcasing talented local artists. The events also help to build the economy by attracting tourists as well as contribute to community development.